"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Valentine's Day

I was going to give you a rundown on the history of Valentine's Day, but that would be too depressing, what with me being single and all. Then I was going to send all of my female readers an e-v day card but that would have been cheesy and would have lent to the commercialization of another holiday. Then I decided I would give a shout down to V-day, but some of my blogger friends already have beaten me to the punch, such as steph, sarah, amz and bluez to name a few.

Okay, I give up. Here's some chocolate for you...



Instead I'll just share this forgotten word & blurb with you, courtesy of my calendar:

LADDESS: Lad made, once upon a time, a feminine laddess, which subsequently shrunk into simply lass.
- M. Schele de Vere's Studies in English, 1867.

VALENTINE'S DAY
Alice Morse Earle, writing in Colonial Days of Old New York (1896), described a curious Valentine's Day observance among early Dutch settlers called Vrouwne dagh, or Women's Day: "Every young girl sallied forth in the morning armed with a heavy cord with knotted end. She gave every young man whom she met several smart lashes with the knotted cord. Perhaps these were 'love-taps,' and were given with no intent of stinging. Judge Egbert Benson wrote in 1816 that in New York this custom dwindled to a similar Valentine observance by children when the girls chased the boys with many blows. In one school the boys asked for a Mannen dagh (Men's Day) in which to repay the girls stinging lashes." The English author Sir Thomas Browne (1605-1682) speculated that this custom commemorated the martyrdom of St. Valentine, whom the Romans are believed to have persecuted around the year 270.

6 Comments:

At 15 February, 2006 00:02, Blogger Kayla said...

Happy Valentine's Day Green.
This ritual sounds painful! I much prefer chocolate.
The Whirlpool galaxy pictures I have posted may be of interest to you. I'd like to read your comment about them.

 
At 15 February, 2006 07:02, Blogger Tim said...

Kayla: First off, thanks for visiting my blog & commenting! It's always nice to have new visitors. Hope you'll come back often.

I will check out those pictures!

 
At 15 February, 2006 07:59, Blogger DaBich said...

I'll take the chocolate too! Keep the whipslashes lol

 
At 15 February, 2006 12:19, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Where's my card, you two-timing silver-tongued bastard???

 
At 15 February, 2006 17:40, Blogger wmy said...

Thanks for the chocolate dear!! I always feel just a little bit smarter after reading your posts...so thanks for all that too!! have a fab day!

 
At 16 February, 2006 17:31, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: those whiplashes kind freaked me out too.

scribe: umm. shucks, I forgot. Silver-tongued.... hmmm, I like that!

wmy: you're welcome- and thanks for the compliment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home