"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Plan revealed

Brace yourselves, folks, because I'm about to reveal The Plan.

The Plan that you first read about here and that I have mentioned a few times since. The Plan that you are waiting breathlessly to read about... (well maybe not)

The Plan.

I didn't want to spill it before because I hadn't finished/completed the application, which I did last night. Finally.

The whole reason for my trip to Texas next month is that I am applying to a grad school in Dallas in the hope of being accepted for the Fall 2006 semester. The school is having an open house type event for prospective students in March and I want to check things out firsthand, before I commit the next four years of my life.

The school is Dallas Theological Seminary. I want to earn a Masters degree in Theology, from which there are many options. Right now I am leaning toward possibly teaching in the world of university academia, or I could become a pastor. But who knows? This is subject to change.

Now you might be thinking; why this particular school, which is so far away? and Why now? The answers are simple. It is without question one of the best seminaries in the country, offering solid, Biblically based training. and Now is never too soon. If you've read here for any length of time, you should know that sound Biblical interpretation is very important to me. And its reputation is spotless. For a while now, I have had a link to the school's web site in my sidebar, or you can check it out here.

Yes, AG you guessed it last week, as I figured that you might, but it was too early to reveal details of The Plan. And it would have ruined the suspense and... well, the suspense. I know you all have been hanging, with all of your life and with baited breath on what The Plan was/is.

Though I'll have to admit, the super tough part about this whole deal is moving so far away from my kids, who live here in New Hampshire.

Certainly the ex won't move the kids to Dallas just to be close to me, nor would I want or expect her to. If I did, I still might be married, though probably not.

This weekend I got a very small taste of my kids' reaction when I told them what I wanted to do. Needless to say, my daughter V's reaction was not good. My son M's reaction wasn't as bad. Though they are young, presently 8 and 6, I don't expect them to fully understand why I want to do this. Nor is this a permanent thing. It is four years, and I would be back to see them as often as I could manage. Four years in the grand scheme of life is nothing. Plus, while not as good as in person contact, there are other ways of communicating with them, such as phone calls, emails and yes - handwritten letters.

My ex, having the weekend to ponder The Plan, called me last night to voice her concerns and the impact both emotionally and financially it would have on the kids and her, respectively. Her concerns I expected. If this is to work I will find a way to meet them.

I've even found a few Bible passages to reassure me that this is the right decision:


Mark 8:34-38 (NKJV) (see also Luke 9:23-26 for paralell passage)


Take Up the Cross and Follow Him

34 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said
to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take
up his cross, and follow Me.

35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.

36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

and

Matthew 19:23-30 (NKJV) (see also Mark 10:23-31 & Luke 18:24-30 for paralell passages)

With God All Things Are Possible

23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it
is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”

28 So Jesus said to them, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

but most of all, this:

Matthew 9:35-38 (NKJV) (see also parallel passage in Luke 10:1-12)

The Compassion of Jesus

35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.

37 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.

38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”

I want to be a laborer.

I have thought for a very long time about doing this, for more than a year actually. Believe it or not, I even mentioned it in my post of New Year's Resolutions. See #4.

This hesitation is also why I likened myself to the Biblical charachter Jonah (if clarification is needed it will be done in another post) in a post I wrote on my tendency to procrastinate.

So that's it in a nutshell. The Plan. There it is, out there for the world to see...

There is a back story to this as well, but that will have to wait for another night.

15 Comments:

At 07 February, 2006 22:52, Blogger Nunzia said...

That's awesome that you applied! Good luck... It's also awesome that you are able to find strength in God's word. Let me know what happens! I'll be checking back to catch up!

 
At 07 February, 2006 23:35, Blogger American Guy said...

Further study can be a wonderful thing, so though I find the subject matter not my cup of tea shall we say, I think it's fantastic that you're devoting yourself to something you so obviously believe in and feel strongly about.

Having said that, I’m DEEPLY worried about the plan. X is right: this will have a HUGE emotional impact on your kids. And (though it may be hard to see) on yourself as well (probably more so than you can realise at the moment). They’re 6 and 8 right now. Your older will be nearly a teenager when you come back. No matter how much you ‘stay in touch’; you’re going to miss out on a substantial portion of their childhood. That’s something you’ll NEVER get back, even if you spend the rest of your and their lives together. Think about all that has happened with them in the last 4 years and imagine how you would have felt missing it: starting school, the first visit form the tooth fairy, the cuddles on the couch while you watch a video…

As it is now, I suspect you wish you had more time with them. If you go ahead with this plan, you’ll have to face the reality of being away from them for MONTHS (not just weeks) at a stretch. The longest I’ve been away from my kids has been 9 days (when I was on the bike ride) and that was a significant challenge, even though I was in the same state, doing something fun and calling them every night. I couldn’t bear the thought of being on the other side of the country from them for an extended period.

This has the potential to SEVERELY damage your relationship with the kids. You say you don’t expect them to understand. You’re right. They’re going to see that ‘daddy chose to go away rather than being with us’. It’s hard enough for kids to keep a bond with a non-custodial parent; this move could really strain things to the breaking point.

Let’s be honest. There are other seminaries (and even regular universities that have theology departments) in New England, and I’m sure you could find one that has a world view that fits in with yours. As for the bible verses. I’m sure you could also find some relevant ones that say take care of your kids; drop everything else until you give them everything they need. And right now, they need their dad to be there. Even if it’s only weekends and school holidays.

 
At 08 February, 2006 04:41, Blogger DaBich said...

WOW! I don't think I could move away from my kids too far. BUT, having searched your soul, I'm sure you know what you're doing. Good luck Green!

 
At 08 February, 2006 09:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its great you're "going for it" but.....

I've seen what its done to my kids when their Dad left. It changed everything. My kids are 23 and 19 and still unforgiving about their father leaving. That said, I'm keeping my yap shut from now on about this.

Good luck Green!

 
At 08 February, 2006 18:40, Blogger Genna said...

I am VERY proud of you for going after what you dream of. I wish you the best of luck and know if you trust in God, all things will work out. :)

 
At 08 February, 2006 19:17, Blogger Tim said...

nunzia: thanks. I will keep you all up on what's happening here.

AG: Obviously the subject matter is not your cup and that's ok. I've been waffling back and forth about this decision for a long time and most of that has been focused on how it would affect the kids. But the fact is, no matter when I go, I'm going to miss out on the majority of four years of their lives and that's time I know I'll never get back. with them. Yes there is the risk that my relationship will be severely damaged, but that's where faith comes in, something which you cannot understand at present. Sacrifices always come with a cost because if they didn't it wouldn't be a sacrifice.

Now, I could wait until M is 18, but then I'll have wasted 12 years of my life in the mean time.

Which is another motivating factor. I'll be 37 this year and I don't feel like I've done anything significant with my life. Call it an early mid-life crisis if you will, but it's there.

Yes there are a few seminaries around here, which are fall back options - this particular school may not accept me. But I'll always wonder if I don't try.
**********TANGENT*********
Which reminds me of a scene in Empire Strikes Back where Luke's X-wing has just sank into the swamp. Yoda says that he should use the force to lift it out. Luke says, "I'll try." and Yoda replies, "NO! Do or do not. There is no try!"
******END OF TANGENT********

tink: see comment for AG

dabich: no one said life was easy. I know it will be hard living away from them. (See tangent)

bluez: so I must ask what were the circumstances when your kids father left? Did he leave and was never heard from again or was it a temporary leave? Circumstances make all of the difference.

Genna: I have missed your comments here. Thanks as always for your support.:>) That means alot to me. I know that things will work out becasue I DO trust in God and I'm pretty confident this is what He wants me to do.

 
At 08 February, 2006 20:52, Blogger American Guy said...

If you believe your god really wants to go down this path, I'm obviosuly not going to be able to talk you out of it, but speaking as one of your oldest friends, I really think you could be about to make a huge mistake.

Have you spoken to your family about this? I'd be really curious to know what your mom thinks of the plan. What about someone in your church (a spiritual advisor)who knows you well? By all means, search your feelings (see you're not the only one who can throw in a star wars quote), meditate and pray on the subject, but talk with people as well.

As for 'wasting' the next 12 years, you don't have to waste them, you can do plenty of meaningful stuff in the mean time. The church will still be there waiting for you, but your kids will not.

Email me your phone number (I probably have it somewhere but can't think where) and I'll call you. I'm genuinely worried about you here.

 
At 08 February, 2006 21:09, Blogger Tim said...

AG: I think it would be a big mistake if I didn't attempt this.
Yes, I have spoken to my family about this but not in great detail because I haven't been accepted to the school yet. There are still many variables and obstacles to be overcome before this is a certainty. Even so, if they do object, their objections will be noted and overruled. There are a few posts I'm working on that will clarify some of my thoughts surrounding this. A few posts simply because of length.

If I wait 12 years, I'll be 49 and then who knows. I may not even be here in 12 years. If it's going to happen, NOW is the time, or it never will.

Phone number has been emailed. But I don't know all of the international calling codes, etc.

 
At 08 February, 2006 21:55, Blogger lccb81 said...

Green:

WOW! or maybe I'm not all that surprised. I don't have kids so I didn't have to make my seminary decision with that on my mind, but I had to make it with financial constraints in mind and was going to wait a year before applying and someone then asked me "Why wait?" I said... "Huh... I guess maybe I'll apply now."

One of my friends who's doing his ph.D. here went to Dallas theological seminary and he seems to have liked it.

Though looking into seminaries closer to your kids does sound like a good idea, though when starting a new phase in your life sometimes relocation can be a factor.

Good luck, and God bless.

 
At 08 February, 2006 22:14, Blogger Ruth said...

Wow! I mean, WOW! That's just so exciting. I have a friend who went there and completed studies two years ago. It was a very good experience.

In regards to it being a good vs. bad decision... only you can decide and it's clear you know that. I do, however, think it is very important to work on yourself and get to the point where you feel you can give your kids even more... sounds like you'll be able to give more freely once you are able to explore the things that you have been dreaming of.

Some dreams we can share and some we cling tightly to because they are incredibly personal...

 
At 09 February, 2006 09:55, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

great, another certified Bible thumper....SIGH...







Just kiddin'. Good luck, greenie :)

 
At 09 February, 2006 11:26, Blogger Kristi B. said...

Good Job, that is great news.

 
At 09 February, 2006 13:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats so bad about being 49? Now I can do anything I want AND get a pension and my kids are all grown and I'm still young at heart. I'm going to fulfill my dream and move to Hawaii and sell spamburgers!

 
At 09 February, 2006 18:32, Blogger Tim said...

lccb: thanks for your support & prayers.

sarafina: it is a hard decision - to be away from my kids but I agree, I do need to work on myself so I dan be the best dad and person that I can be.

scribe: and this is a surprise to you (that I'm a Bible thumper)?
Thanks for the good wishes.

kristi: thanks to you also. I need all the prayer support I can get.

bluez: there's nothing wrong with being 49. Just that I don't want to wait 12 years to accomplish something between now and then. I don't know how else to explain what I'm talkin' about.

 
At 10 February, 2006 20:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

raising kids alone, putting them through college, buying a house and getting promoted and putting away money for retirement isn't an accomplishment?? I think I feel a bit insulted. Being able to retire at age 50 I feel is a HUGE accomplishment, thank you very much!

49 is around the corner, don't miss out on your kids lives....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home