"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I despise free agency...

...especially when my team is losing some of my favorite players.

I can understand not re-signing Willie McGinest because of his age, even though he can still play and play well. But it was sad seeing him sign with the Cleveland Browns.

I can understand David Givens, a former 7th round draft pick, wanting the big contract and a chance to be THE GUY, but seeing him sign with the Tennessee Titans was depressing.

But making absolutely no effort to sign Adam Vinatieri (the best clutch kicker in NFL history and a future Hall of Famer) is just inexcuseable. And now I discover he's going to play for the Indianapolis Colts? C'mon, kickers can play forever. Three million per for five years probably would have kept him in New England. Though I could see the writing on the wall when the Patriots decided not to assign him the franchise player tag again.

Football players (non-kickers), media and fans often deride kickers as not "real" football players. But with a game on the line - the difference between winning and losing - there's not a kicker I have more confidence in than #4. Plus, how many kickers can say that they've run down and tackled Herschel Walker?

These losses are depressing considering the only player signed in return is a mid-level guy (WR Reche Caldwell) who may be good but maybe not...

Like Johnny Damon signing with the Yankees, Adam Vinatieri will just be another player on that team. Forsaking cult-like status in one of the most sports crazed regions like Boston & New England for more dollars just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, I know pro athletes make insane amounts of money. But that goes with the territory. Would you turn down that kind of paycheck if offered to you?

I didn't think so. Neither would I.

Since none of these players signed with a real hated rival, I can still root for them with good conscience (EXCEPT WHEN YOUR NEW TEAM PLAYS AGAINST THE PATRIOTS), knowing how much pleasure I received watching them help win three championships in the last five years.

----

I had a much better day today than yesterday.

----

Still waiting to hear on the status of my application to DTS. Will continue to keep you posted.

----

What do you do if someone you have a crush on has a crush on someone else? Just wondering...

13 Comments:

At 21 March, 2006 22:09, Blogger Ruth said...

Keep us posted on what spurred that last question!

My advice... hmmm.... well, if they have a crush on someone else I'd truly ask myself if I'm willing to compromise to be more like the person they have the crush on. Usually the answer is no... In my experience, more luck is gained when you release your crush, embrace them as a friend and get to know one another on a real level... if it's meant to be they'll see what's right under their nose and it will exit the crush stage and turn into something much more meaningful.

That may sound trite, but I truly believe that's true.

 
At 22 March, 2006 05:55, Blogger DaBich said...

I agree with Sarafina! What is meant to be will come about. Just take it a day at a time. See what happens.

 
At 22 March, 2006 11:14, Blogger Kristi B. said...

Let them know how you feel, and then tell then you respect their feelings for someone else. Back off and give them plenty of space. They'll come back around to you in time.

 
At 22 March, 2006 18:29, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

Crushes come and go. They're totally natural. Has this woman mentioned this said crush to you or are you just going by your interpretations? Sometimes things aren't what they seem.

Even so, if this young lady is indeed mesmerized with another, it doesn't mean that she can't be wooed by an admirerer. Just go with the flow...

 
At 22 March, 2006 21:24, Blogger Tim said...

Outta da whole post you all picked up on that one sentence? Wow. If you people plow through a football related post to find that nugget well then that's saying something. Perhaps I should have put it in the middle of a non-related paragraph to hide it better....

The only thing I'll say on that topic for now is "thanks for the thoughts & advise."

 
At 22 March, 2006 22:37, Blogger Kayla said...

Who is your crush, Green?

 
At 22 March, 2006 22:58, Blogger Tim said...

kayla: the only way I can respond to that is that she knows who she is.

 
At 22 March, 2006 23:11, Blogger Kayla said...

Darn...must not be me ;)
Good luck with her!

 
At 22 March, 2006 23:18, Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

You move to Oregon, meet a fabulous woman and forget about her! *laugh*

 
At 22 March, 2006 23:24, Blogger Tim said...

kayla: I'm an equal opportunity crusher. I can crush on you too, if it'll make you feel better... ;>)

oregoncelticlady: thanks for your comment to my blog! New commenters are always welcome. Hope you'll visit regularly...

 
At 22 March, 2006 23:29, Blogger Kayla said...

Hahaha..no thanks, Green.

 
At 22 March, 2006 23:38, Blogger Tim said...

kayla: I didn't think so, and I'm okay with that.

 
At 23 March, 2006 17:05, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

In my defense, it was the only part of the post i could comment on being that I know absolutely zilch about football.

I also know nothing of Willie, David, Adam, Johnny, Yankees, Cleveland, blah..blah..blah.. LOL Sorry.(not that it was boring) Your posts are always quite interesting as well as informative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home