"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, March 18, 2006

SNMR 1.1: "Must Love Dogs"


Tonight begins what will now be a regular feature of this blog. Introducing my Saturday Night Movie Review (TM), hereafter referred to as SNMR.

We'll begin this feature with "Must Love Dogs," (2005, PG-13, 98 minutes) starring John Cusack, Diane Lane, Dermot Mulroney, Elizabeth Perkins, Stockard Channing and Christopher Plummer. The film was directed by Gary David Goldberg.

My friend tink has recently posted about this movie. She thought it was good but didn't review it. As it turns out I bought this movie on DVD when it first came out but hadn't gotten around to actually watching it. So I decided to make this my choice for tonight.

I'm generally a fan of John Cusack's movies and I absolutely think Diane Lane is a very beautiful, talented and underrated actress. I've thought this ever since I saw her in "The Outsiders" (see SNMR 1.6 for a review) waaay back in the 8th grade.

From the DVD's dustjacket:

"Pretty pre-school teacher Sarah Nolan (Diane Lane) is divorced, demoralized and dateless - until her sister posts her profile at perfectmatch.com. Now she has lots of dates. With weirdos, weepers, lechers, jocks - and Jake (John Cusack), a soulful boat builder whose idea of true love comes out of Dr. Zhivago. Jake is attractive, smart and maybe a bit too intense. So Sarah passes him by. And maybe passes up her one real chance for love.

With a witty script and irresistable stars (including Christopher Plummer as Sarah's widowed dad, weaving his own worldwide web of romance and Stockard Channing as his new lady friend), this romantic comedyis as delightful a surprise as a perfect blind date. Dont miss out: love could be just a mouse click away!"
I thought this movie was overall very good. It seemed to hit home for me in some ways and I got a few chuckles out of it where it was supposed to be funny. There were some parts that seemed held together with glue, that could have easily been expanded on or completely left out without affecting the overall story. The script was decent, the supporting cast was good but the movie was definitely held together by the performances of the two leads.

I'll give this movie three and a half stars out of five. I don't think it will prove over time to be a classic like When Harry Met Sally has become, but it is definitely worthwhile to rent, if not own, especially if you are a fan of romantic comedies.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 19 March, 2006 06:51, Blogger DaBich said...

Another one to add to my list ;)

 
At 19 March, 2006 13:48, Blogger Genna said...

I liked this movie, yet my mom LOOOOOVED it. I think it reminded her that looking for someonw might be uncomfortable at times, but it all pays off in the end.

Hope you are doing well!

 
At 19 March, 2006 17:32, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

hmm, romantic comedies, I like them. I may have to take a look at that sometime. One of my favorite John Cusack movies: "Better off Dead."

 
At 19 March, 2006 18:41, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: You'll like this one, I think.

genna: I think you nailed it - how it hit home with me.

zepplin: "Better Off Dead" is definitely a classic and extremely funny, even to this day.

 
At 20 March, 2006 22:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say I really hated this movie. I think both Lane and Cusack's talents were wasted in this movie depicting divorced women as pathetic and needing a man in their lives. I was actually insulted by this movie. Too bad it was such a waste of talent, IMHO of course :-)

 
At 20 March, 2006 22:22, Blogger Tim said...

bluez: I've decided to provide this feature as a public service, since I'm a self proclaimed movie buff.

I don't mind if you disagree with my reviews on occasion and I appreciate (as always) an opposing view.

Though I think you'll like next Saturday's choice....

 
At 20 March, 2006 22:54, Blogger Ruth said...

Also wonderful... Say Anything & High Fidelity... That John Cusack...


PS - zepplinlady: Better Off Dead ROCKS! Very quotable too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home