"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Minor damage

No, I didn't get into a car accident today.

I'm referring to the fact that I went to Barnes and Noble after work tonight and came away only spending $7. That's headline news for me. As previous posts here can testify, I usually spend more than I should whenever I go to any bookstore. Of course, it helped greatly that I had nearly $40 in store credit to spend, thanks to two books I returned tonight. Also helpful was that I went in there with a plan, met the objectives and didn't stray from them...

So what did I get with my store credit? I know you are curious.... =>)

I wanted to get a specific magazine, but of course they didn't have it.

I always peruse the discount racks for hidden gems, but didn't see anything eye-popping.

I briefly looked in the science fiction section and also looked at the books on Christianity and religion. A few interesting things I saw there but since I'm going to the Warehouse on Saturday, I didn't choose anything from there.

I spent a long time looking over a Jewish Study Bible (Old Testament) with notes and almost seriously came away with it. What little I read was very interesting. Perhaps someday I'll bite on the $45.00 price tag...


I eventually ended up buying two books:

DVD & Video Guide 2006 I seem to buy the updated version of this book every two years. Well, at least that's been the pattern since 1994 anyway. I think it's one of the better guides out there.
















and


I wasn't sure what titles I'd find for this subject, but Basics of Biblical Greek, 2nd Ed. seems to be one of the better texts. Why? Because I'll need it if I get into DTS.

Plus, the couple who served as my host family for Discover Dallas highly recommended to get a head start on it before class would start, even if I only learn the alphabet and charachter pronunciations.

On the chance that I don't get accepted to DTS, learning Greek should help me get more out of the New Testament when I read for myself and that's a good thing. There are nuances in the original Greek that English translations of the Bible don't do justice to - you can't get the full flavor of the ideas & expresions the original authors wanted to express. This I know just from my own personal study.

17 Comments:

At 28 March, 2006 23:34, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The Basics of Biblical Greek is FABULOUS! That is the book we used (and work book too) when I took Greek at school 2 years ago. Unfortunatley I don't remember much because I've had 1 1/2 years of Hebrew since then (which I love). I think you'll enjoy the book and learn lots from it. The CD that comes with it is also a great help. Good luck!

 
At 29 March, 2006 05:32, Blogger DaBich said...

Greek!! Oh Lord, you are definitely braver than I am LOL!
Enjoy...books are priceless.

 
At 29 March, 2006 12:57, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Man, what do you have against libraries?

 
At 29 March, 2006 16:06, Blogger Ruth said...

I have the Mounce book too! It's good.

I'm with Scribe... though I do know that the DVD guide would NOT be available for checkout at most libraries... usually a reference book... the Greek... widely available at most though it totally depends on how well stocked the library is and how rural your environs are! :o)

 
At 29 March, 2006 16:46, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

My library is the bestest darn place in the whole wide world!!! 3 levels of enlightenment and a coffee shop for chillin'. :)

 
At 29 March, 2006 16:59, Blogger Ruth said...

Even though I'm not a practicing librarian, I still have my MLS and will always consider myself a librarian and will continue to go to libraries... often one of the better places to visit when you travel too! Way to save on those travel books too! Just take notes and go, go, go!

 
At 29 March, 2006 17:14, Blogger Mystical Me said...

My blog is back in action just an FYI! Take care, MM XOXO

 
At 29 March, 2006 17:33, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Who are you and why are you in a bikini???

 
At 29 March, 2006 17:57, Blogger lccb81 said...

I would have given you my copy.

 
At 29 March, 2006 23:32, Blogger Tim said...

shelley: from what I've read, Mounce is "the book" on this subject. I'm looking forward to referring to this book for years to come.

louise: welcome to my blog. New commenters are always welcome & appreciated.
No I have not seen that, but I do agree, prophecy is very fascinating...

dabich: learning Greek is a must if I'm going to go to seminary. I can see the course plainly in the schedule outline din the catalog.

scribe: I have nothing against libraries. My kids and I went to one last weekend. Though I do have my own ever expanding library, too...

sarafina: you have Mounce? For some reason I didn't think that was your style. Shows you what I know... I think Mounce will be the text that the class would use, so borrowing a library copy just wouldn't do...unless it was permanent.

scribe: my library doesn't have a coffee shop but does have a handy attached kitchen....

sarafina: travel books - a bonus of being a member of AAA. Though I do have the travel books I bought when I went to Hungary in '91 and Israel & Egypt in '96...

mm: glad you're back, luv!!

scribe: mm is my good friend. She'll have to tell you why she's in a bikini. I'm not gonna.

lccb: thanks for your offer, but

a) I needed to spend my store credit & nothing else really piqued my interest.

b) I've never been a fan of used textbooks.

c) as a soon to be pastor you might need your copy for reference...

 
At 30 March, 2006 08:29, Blogger lccb81 said...

I rarely crack the Mounce book since taking Intermediate Greek and using a book by the same company by a guy who's last name is Wallace (D. Wallace maybe?) Which is more about syntax. and for vocab while reading the greek new testament I use kubo's reader's lexicon.

 
At 30 March, 2006 14:18, Blogger Deb said...

Green! Green! Green!


There is this AWESOME book you have to read.


It's called, "A Prayer Away From Healing" ... Go to Amazon.com to get your copy! (hehehe) And the author---Debra Pasquella, she's quite the controversial writer...if you like that kinda stuff!

Go! Now! Buy!!! ;)




Had to plug that in there!

 
At 08 April, 2006 18:38, Blogger Theologian said...

I am a Dallas Seminary grad. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I can give you the straight dope.

 
At 08 April, 2006 19:35, Blogger Tim said...

theologian: Just wondering how you came across my blog? In any case, welcome to it and thanks for commenting. When did you graduate from DTS and did yo like your time there?

 
At 09 April, 2006 20:01, Blogger Theologian said...

Green,

I came to your blog through lccb's blog. Clicked on your name and then linked it here.

I really enjoyed my time at DTS, although it was pretty stressful. The professors there give you a chance to explore different ideas while still working in an evangelical context, which is just what I needed when I attended. I wish you the best.

 
At 09 April, 2006 20:01, Blogger Theologian said...

Oh, sorry. I forgot to add that I graduated in 2002.

 
At 09 April, 2006 20:18, Blogger Tim said...

theologian: If I get accepted (still waiting on that) I'll be anxious to go. I visited the campus at the beginning of March and had a small taste of what it might be like.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback and good wishes. I'm sure I'll post about it when I receive the school's decision, hopefully this week sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home