"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, March 27, 2006

The Plan - how I got here (part II)

For part I of this story, click here.

Fast forward to late 1999, girlfriend and I have been married now for over 5 1/2 years. Our second child is no more than football sized and life seems to be proceeding according to plan, give or take a few dead ends, wrong turns and u-turns.

There's a Wal-Mart Supercenter near where we used to live where we did most of our shopping. On many occasions I'd be going there to pick up diapers, formula or whatever it was that we needed at that time. I'd always pass the aisle where they sold the books and magazines, and I'd often find myself taking extra time to glance through a magazine or a book that I'd pick up here and there to see if it was worth buying. On many occasions I'd see these paperback books with almost entirely black covers. Book one, book two, book three - all the way thru book six. I kept telling myself that one of these days I was going to buy the first two books and read them, just to see if they were worth all of the hype that they were receiving.

Eventually I did buy the first two books in the series and practically inhaled them, I read them so fast. Then I bought the other four installments and quickly devoured those also.

Of course I'm talking about the Left Behind series, written by Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins, which is a fictional story that parallels the Biblical book of Revelation.

One thought kept popping into my head as I read through these books, which was: "IF the rapture happened today, right now, would I be taken up or would I be left behind?

Now I had grown up in a Christian home with a strong belief in God, and considered myself to be a good Christian. I was a five year member of the Christian group IVCF in college. All of my close college friends were Christians. I had spent every summer as a youth either going to or working at a summer camp run by my church. I even was a member of a missions team that went to Hungary in 1991. But was I really a Christian? IF push came to shove, where would I stand? I wasn't so sure.

Sadly, upon much inner reflection, my answer to the above question would have been a resounding NO! I would be one of the ones to be left behind, wondering what happened to everyone else.

Having always had a fascination with eschatology, I knew that I didn't want to be on earth during the time that the Bible calls The Day of the Lord. I want nothing to do with the wrath that is to come.

So right there, in the middle of a chapter I stopped and prayed. I admitted that I was a sinner and that I could not get into heaven on my own merit. I asked Jesus to come into my life and that I believed that His death on the cross was for ME. That He suffered and died so that I could one day go to heaven to be with Him. I also prayed that He would show me the plan for my life, that whatever He wanted me to do that I would do it.

After I wiped the tears from my eyes, I got up and walked around the house. I went into my daughter's room and watched her sleep. She looked like an angel. I went into my son's room and looked at him the same way. How precious he was! What a gift from God these two precious children were! And I was thankful for them and all of the blessings in my life. I just wanted to give something back.

After that I went back downstairs to either finish the book or get to a good stopping point.

Once I prayed that prayer, I could slowly sense a change in my attitude towards a career in ministry. Maybe being a pastor wasn't such an outrageous idea after all...

Things didn't develop right away with that idea. However I did find a renewed sense of need to go to church regularly. By this point I had stopped going to the Salvation Army altogether. Since my wife and I couldn't agree on a church to go to together as a family and since she couldn't go regularly anyway because of her job and the shift she worked, she just told me to pick a church and go. Which I did. {It's a wonderful church , and my kids and I still go there to this day.} I also found renewed interest in Bible study and such. I began to build a library of books written by Christian authors. Commentaries, Bible studies, and everything I could find, and I voraciously read whatever I could get my hands on.

During this time I read several books written by authors who had graduated from DTS. Throughout all of these different books, one thing was in common. The way that they handled the Word of God was just incredible. From the passion of their subject matter the recognition and awards that their work received. I thought, "Wow, wouldn't it be cool to go to a place that loves Scripture and is fundamentally sound in their interpretation of it."

Fast forward again to December 2004. I've just moved into a new apartment after living at my parents house for a year and a half after my separation and divorce. One Sunday before Christmas I announce my plans to go back to school because I want to get a masters degree.

"In what?" my family asks, seemingly all at once.

"Theology. A masters in Theology. See there's this great school in Dallas that I'd love to go to....

All last year the thought of going to Seminary kept getting stronger in my head. I wanted to run from it and hide. For awhile I did but kept coming back to it.

I even included it as one of my resolutions (see #4) for 2006.

Finally, in February, I decided to make the leap and apply. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So I filled out the on-line application and decided that I wanted to visit the school. Hey what's this, they're having a weekend for prospective students? Wish I could go. That'd be so neat.

Then I remembered I needed to file my Tax Return! I'd use some of that money to fly down and back. Let me check it out for myself.

Yeah, that's the plan.

PS: Do I recommend the Left Behind series to you? Absolutely. Without a doubt. There are 12 books in the now completed series. It is an exellent story with a happy ending.

27 Comments:

At 28 March, 2006 01:20, Blogger Nunzia said...

that's really awesome. thank you for sharing that.

 
At 28 March, 2006 05:26, Blogger DaBich said...

Sounds like a plan to me!

 
At 28 March, 2006 10:24, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I hate happy endings, but I did see the first film in the series.

 
At 28 March, 2006 17:59, Blogger Ruth said...

You know about LaHaye's The Kids series, right? I'm not a fan of either series (b/c of the potrayals of women, among others), but know many ... kids and adults who LOVE it. I am all for reading, just not my preference. In any case, in the spirit of continued reading...here is a list of some others you may like if you like LaHaye...

Blood Moon, Hal Lindsey

By Frank Peretti
-Oath
-Prophet
-This Present Darkness
-Visitation

Bill Myers
-Blood of Heaven
-Fire of Heaven
-Threshold

Rift in Time, Michael Phillips

By Paul D. Meier
-Third Millennium
-Fourth Millennium: The Sequel

Messiah Stones, Irving Benig

Millennium, Jack Anderson

Millennium Rising, Jane Jensen.

 
At 28 March, 2006 18:10, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Jack Anderson's Millenium??? LOL Are you trying to make green question his faith???

 
At 28 March, 2006 18:23, Blogger Ruth said...

Oh, you are VERY perceptive... LOL... all titles for philosophical types... not necessarily fundamentalist Christians! :o) Whatever we believe our fate will be... I'm hoping and working toward a happy one.

 
At 28 March, 2006 18:47, Blogger Tim said...

nunzia: your welcome.
dabich: yes, ma'am.
scribe: the books are far better than the movies.
sarafina: I've read many of Tim LaHaye's books aside from Left Behind & I don't recall him espousing any negative views about women? Please elaborate. Thanks for the additional reading suggestions.
scribe: don't worry, my faith is built on a solid foundation. It's not likely to crumble.
sarafina: I don't mind a little philosophy here and there. it's like salt which gives food an interesting taste. Ooh I think I could make a nice post out of your last sentence.... maybe someday...

 
At 28 March, 2006 19:53, Blogger American Guy said...

“There's a Wal-Mart Supercenter near where we used to live”

So what you’re saying is that walmart is indirectly responsible for this plan? Man, I knew that they were an evil empire, but I didn’t realise their control was quite this strong!

“Of course I'm talking about the Left Behind series”

Oh, I get it now: you wanted to become a minister because of an interesting book. I can totally relate to that, actually. I’ve wanted to become an auror ever since starting to read Harry Potter.

“One thought kept popping into my head as I read through these books, which was: "IF the rapture happened today, right now, would I be taken up or would I be left behind?”

Yeah, one thought keeps coming into MY head, do I want to stand side by side with the order of the phoenix, or do I want to give in and serve lord Voldermort with the death eaters.

“Now I had grown up in a Christian home with a strong belief in God, and considered myself to be a good Christian. I was a five year member of the Christian group IVCF in college. All of my close college friends were Christians. I had spent every summer as a youth either going to or working at a summer camp run by my church. I even was a member of a missions team that went to Hungary in 1991.” And “I also found renewed interest in Bible study and such. I began to build a library of books written by Christian authors. Commentaries, Bible studies, and everything I could find.”

In other words, you’ve had a very insular existence, where you’ve only ever been exposed to one world view and have never had to question your comfortable way of life.

OK, sarcasm aside for a moment (just a moment, mind you!). It’s clear that you’ve put a lot of thought into this. And believe it or not, I respect you for having the courage to pursue something that’s this important to you. It’s just a shame that you haven’t found a way to do it without subjecting your children to long term psychological damage.

 
At 28 March, 2006 19:58, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

sarafina,

I read Anderson's Millenium years ago. My favorite character was Ghost. Well-developed black thug character by a middle-aged white male.

green,

believe me, I know your faith is unshakable.

american guy,

damn LOL

 
At 28 March, 2006 20:34, Blogger Tim said...

AG: **ignoring sarcasm**

scribe: only 'cuz I've known him for 30+ years....

 
At 28 March, 2006 21:52, Blogger Deb said...

That was an incredible story. If you have a calling---then go with it. I was confused with the term, ‘good Christian’. I know we all try to be Christ-like, however we’re all human and we all have crosses to bear; which is why Jesus came to this earth to save us.

If you believe that Jesus died for you, then you will not be left behind. (In my beliefs) I feel that a personal relationship with God is most important. Going to church like clockwork every Sunday sitting in the pews without that passion is meaningless. Going to church because you have a passion and love for God is a whole different story.

God has definitely blessed you with your children and your experiences. I hope that you receive everything you’ve asked God for. Seeing faith in someone like yourself is definitely an inspiration.

Thanks for sharing this!

 
At 28 March, 2006 22:14, Blogger Tim said...

~deb: thanks. I appreciate your comments.

You know "good Christian," meaning all kinds of outward appearances but lacking the substance of saving faith.

 
At 29 March, 2006 12:51, Blogger DaBich said...

Green~you got any duct tape?

 
At 29 March, 2006 15:32, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

you're such a tramp, dabich LOL

 
At 29 March, 2006 15:43, Blogger Ruth said...

Green,
My memory is of very one-dimensional women who are only referred to because of their looks or b/c of their reproductive status... I'm sure that there are things that you drew out of it, but I couldn't get beyond that and some other things...

Scribe,
Good description... LOL! :o)

 
At 29 March, 2006 17:34, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

sarafina,

I got that impression from the movie as well. Typical Christian Right regard for females, I guess. Brainless vessels.

 
At 29 March, 2006 18:31, Blogger Ruth said...

If I only had a brain... da dum da dum da dum...

 
At 29 March, 2006 18:59, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

LOL

If I only had a brain, I'd accept Jesus without question.

 
At 29 March, 2006 20:46, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: you lost me on the duct tape request....

sarafina: are we talking about the same books or are you talking specifically about the movie versions? The books have none of what you describe, to my memory...

The authors of the books (LaHaye & Jenkins) probably had little input if any over the movie. Directors have been known to take liberties with authors works, y'know...

 
At 29 March, 2006 22:20, Blogger Ruth said...

I never saw the movies... Kirk Cameron is a little to cheesetastic for me. I read the first book when it came out in '96.

 
At 29 March, 2006 22:28, Blogger Tim said...

sarafina: cheesetastic!

priceless. excellent word!

It's been 10 years, then. Might I suggest another go round with the books? And if you do read them again, lemme know what degrading parts toward women you're referring to...

 
At 30 March, 2006 09:53, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I found the first book at a used book store in trade paperback for mat for one dollar! I leafed through it, tried to read the first chapter, found it amateurish and too basic, and put it back.

 
At 30 March, 2006 10:05, Blogger DaBich said...

Scribe... ::blink::
me? tramp? you injure my poor heart.

Green~the duct tape would be for AG. ;)

 
At 30 March, 2006 17:41, Blogger American Guy said...

Are you flirting with me, d?

 
At 30 March, 2006 19:25, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

She wants your nertz, AG!!!

 
At 30 March, 2006 21:25, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: pardon me for still being clueless, but I'm still lost on the duct tape thing, except that now I know it's for AG.

scribe: too bad for you, then. It's a really good story.

 
At 31 March, 2006 05:52, Blogger DaBich said...

Moi? never AG, I don't flirt, I leave that to Scribe, he's so good at it ;)

Green, I'll send you a clue in your e-mail. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home