"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trying to save money bit me in the...

DISCLAIMER: This post occasionally uses algebraic expressions. If you don't like algebra, please skip this post. Thank You for your time.

When I knew that I had this new job in mid-September, the boss told me that I should take that one-day cram course for the state licensing exam. At the time I didn't have the v to take the course (which includes the hefty book, sample test and cd-rom) and barely had w to purchase the book and materials alone. Honestly, I didn't think I'd need the course either. I mean how hard can a multiple choice exam actually be?

Since that time I've taken the licensing exam twice at a cost of 2x+5. Today I signed up for the one day cram course and asked the lady operator what the cost would be for the course on its own. She told me it would cost y. So by purchasing the book and signing up for the course separatrely, I've spent w+y, which is z more than I would have spent if I had just ordered the book and signed up for the course at the same time. And assuming I would have passed the exam the first time after taking the course, I would have saved x.

As it stands now, I still have to spend x+5 to take the course for the third time. And above all of this, the state of New Hampshire is goiong to require a for me to even get the license. Eventually I'll have to pay b and c respectively to Massachusetts and Maine to get cross-licensed.

The good thing is that, as long as the license doesn't lapse, I'll never have to take the stupid test ever, Ever, EVer, EVEr, EVER again. I also get to write all of this nonsensical expense off on my taxes this year, as I'll be a 1099 employee (self employed).

And believe you me, after all of this, I'll never let the license lapse.

---

Because I live in an apartment with an unreliable outside mailbox system, I use a PO Box for my mailing address. I tell you that to tell you this:

I got the dumbest call on my cell phone today. Some mortgage telemarketer guy called me and told me that I could save money by refinancing the mortgage on my post offce mailbox. He even read my address back to me. So I told the guy to stop and think what he was saying so (hopefully) he won't make the same mistake again. LESSON: Never call a number with an associated PO Box, especially if you're trying to set appintments for refinancing.

2 Comments:

At 02 November, 2006 05:29, Blogger DaBich said...

dayum...money woes surely suck. Hopefully things will straighten out for you.
The telemarketer? What an azzmunch!

 
At 03 November, 2006 12:44, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I'll have to do the same kind of things for nursing once I graduate. The NCLEX is the state licensing exam, but the school offers a cram course for a good chunk of money, and then taking the exam is more money. And you have to have an offical state picture taken, and your license cards made up... the list goes on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home