"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Time Management

This has never been one of my greatest skills or assets. In fact, lack of said skill is one of the reasons why I'm such a great procrastinator. That and my Attention Deficit Disorder.

Why do I find it hard to get motivated to do anything these days?

I'm not happy with the status-quo of my life and I know that, yet my internal drive for some reason is short circuiting. Maybe it's because I'd almost rather be in a dentist's chair having teeth pulled without an anesthetic rather than looking for a job.

I said almost.

I mean, I have goals. And I know that in order to achieve them I need to get off my ass and get a job. But here's the thing: do I look for a job from the newspaper that will pay like crap and still not allow me the kind of money I need to make ends meet or do I hold out and keep looking for that job which will meet my financial needs?

In fact, here are the top five things I absolutely hate doing. There may be more but I can't think of them right now. They are listed in no particular order (aside from #1):

1. sitting in a dentist's chair having teeth pulled without an anesthetic.
2. looking for a job.
3. anything to do with packing/unpacking and moving.
4. folding laundry/making my bed
5. getting up before 8:00 in the morning.

I actually gathered up enough energy and went to a job fair on Monday, which was almost a waste of time. The entire fair involved companies that were looking for computer programmers, technical people with engineering degrees and technical sales people. None of these skills or degrees do I have.

The woman at the registration desk asked me for my resume upon sign in and after quickly scanning it looked at me like I had six heads.

Registration Desk Lady: "Your specialty is finance and accounts receivable?"

Me: "Yes it is."

RDL: "Did you know that this is an engineering and technical job fair?

Me: "Yes I did. But last I looked, all companies have some dealings with customers, money and finances - and that's where I come in."

RDL (reluctantly hands me a registration sticker for my shirt): "Well, I suppose you can go in, but the companies inside are only looking to fill specific engineering and technical positions today."

Me (as I take sticker and walk away): "Okay, thank you."

Sure enough, each company inside had a sign in front of each booth listing what positions they were hiring for and only two of them had finance listed. But I did get a booklet with ads from each company present and looking through it, found at least 10 companies that have financial positions listed. All of them in the booklet have addresses and web addresses, so that's something.

It took me 30 minutes all told to talk to RDL and walk the room. I only spoke to two people at booths. The time spent wasn't a total waste, since I got the booklet and a neat faux leather pocket size business card holder. I was disappointed though that I was not able to stock up on the free pens and assorted give-aways at each booth.

Good thing the job fair was at a local hotel in town, so getting there and back only took 5 minutes.

2 Comments:

At 28 March, 2007 20:22, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I despise those job fairs because they are more into pigeon-holing than in discovering talent. I too have wasted my time at those things.

 
At 30 March, 2007 05:54, Blogger DaBich said...

Hope you find something you like soon green!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home