"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, February 02, 2008

SNMR 4.12: "Groundhog Day"

Since today is Groundhog Day, I thought it would be convenient for tonight's SNMR feature to actually review "Groundhog Day" (1993, PG, 101 minutes), starring Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliott, Stephen Tobolowsky and Brian Doyle-Murray. The film was directed by Harold Ramis.

I can't even remember how many times I've seen this film or when the first time I watched it might have been. So this must be the umpteenth time I've seen it. Probably will a good umpteen or two more times that I'll watch it in my lifetime.

PLOT SUMMARY: Phil Connors (Murray) is a weatherman for a Pittsburgh television station and an arrogant, conceited, pain in the butt. He has to travel on assignment to Punxsutawney, PA to cover the annual Groundhog Day festivities with his producer (MacDowell) and cameraman (Elliott). While there, Connors becomes trapped in his worst nightmare... reliving Groundhog Day over and over and over again, until he learns from the error of his ways.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE: This is one of the best performances of Bill Murray's career. His character is so annoying that you want to slap him upside the head, but at the same time are rooting for him to change. The script is excellent and original and is deftly directed by longtime Murray pal Harold Ramis. Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliott and Stephen Tobolowsky are super in co-starring roles. My favorite scenes in the movie are when Murray is trying to teach the groundhog to drive and where Murray is driving in the car with the two drunks from the bowling alley.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE: There wasn't anything in this film that I really disliked. It's a good, clean, fun movie.

****1/2 out of *****

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 03 February, 2008 18:57, Blogger American Guy said...

but...but...

Groundhog's Day can't have come out 15 years ago - it's a "new" movie. I'm sure of it.

 
At 05 February, 2008 10:32, Blogger DaBich said...

Punxsutawney Phil lives about an hour from me. I swear I'm going to drive there and shoot that rodent! lol

 
At 05 February, 2008 15:00, Blogger Tim said...

ag: scary isn't it that this movie came out in the early 90's.

d: Next year you ought to go to the festival in Punxsutawney, since you live do close. Get a room at a nice B&B with the hubby.... then you can blog about it!

 
At 06 February, 2008 13:23, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I absolutely adore this movie!! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home