"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Notable celebrity deaths so far in 2008

Recently, American Guy left this on his blog at the end of 2007. In the comments section, I morbidly wondered who the first notable celebrity deaths would be in 2008. Now we know:

Heath Ledger, 28, died today of a possible drug overdose in Manhattan, New York. The official cause of death is yet to be determined. Most notably Ledger starred in "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson in 2000 and "Brokeback Mountain" with Jake Gyllenhaal in 2005. Ledger was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his role as a gay cowboy in this film. His first break in the US came in 1999, for "10 Things I Hate About You" with Julia Stiles. His profile page from imdb.com.

Suzanne Pleshette, 70, died on the 19th of respiratory failure in Los Angeles, California. She is best known for her role as Bob Newhart's wife on the 1970's television show "The Bob Newhart Show" (1972-1977). She also appeared in many other television shows throughout her career. Her profile from imdb.com.




Brad Renfro, 25, died on the 15th in Los Angeles, California. The official cause of death has not been released. His best known role was in "The Client" in 1994 with Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones. He also starred in "Ghost World" in 2001 with Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson and Steve Buscemi. His profile from imdb.com.




As AG rightfully noted, I missed this one:
Sir Edmund Hillary, 88, died on the 11th in Auckland, New Zealand of heart failure. Hillary, along with his Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay, was known for being the first successful climber of Mt. Everest in 1953. Hillary also did a lot of philanthropic work in Nepal, founding the Himalayan Trust sometime in 1960-61.







The most disturbing thing about these deaths is that two of the actors were under the age of 30. Tragic. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I find it incredibly sad when anyone presently younger than I am dies.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 22 January, 2008 20:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

drugs suck the life out of you. dumb ass's. What a waste.

 
At 23 January, 2008 10:17, Blogger DaBich said...

I agree, Green, when someone under 30 dies, it seems such a tragic waste. It also makes me feel my OWN mortality to a larger degree.

Sad indeed...

 
At 23 January, 2008 18:59, Blogger American Guy said...

um, besides these 'celebrities' - which include a washed up has been (most remembered for something she did over 30 years ago) and a never was (Brad who? b-list at best!), you seem to have forgotten someone who actually had a real impact on the world:

Sir Edmund Hillary

 
At 23 January, 2008 20:03, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Sir Edmund wholary? Wigga, please!!!

 
At 23 January, 2008 20:06, Blogger Tim said...

ag: you are correct, sir. A most egregious oversight on my part. Therefore Sir Ed has been added to the post, as you see.

The others may be B-list but still notable.

Did I miss anyone else?

 
At 24 January, 2008 13:15, Blogger Kayla said...

I was saddened by the death of Heath Ledger. The man had a little girl that was the apple of his eye; a little girl lost her daddy..a mother lost her baby's father...
And I loved him as an actor (for the majority of his movies)

 
At 28 January, 2008 16:38, Blogger tonymyles said...

This may be morbid, but I enjoy the summary of those who have passed on at the Academy Awards every year. Not because of the information, but because of the intentional silence after the montage... very respectful.

 
At 28 January, 2008 16:50, Blogger Tim said...

Tony: Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.

I agree with you. I enjoy that part of the Academy Awards too, for the very same reason. Very respectful.

It always surprises me how many people I recognize and how many movie star deaths I miss when the "In Memoriam" segment of the Oscars comes on every year...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home