"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, March 31, 2008

Green's 2008 Baseball Predictions

Even though the Red Sox have already played two games in Japan that count in the standings for this season, the rest of Major League Baseball got underway last night with one game and today with a full set of games in both leagues.

You know I like to tell y'all what I think, even if y'all don't care as much as I do. Everyone's got an opinion so I thought I'd give you my predictions for this new, wonderful baseball season!! With a full 162 game schedule for each team between now and October, anything can happen and it usually does. One thing I know for sure is that I'm going to enjoy the ride.

American League

East
1. Boston Red Sox
2. New York Yankees
3. Toronto Blue Jays
4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
5. Baltimore Orioles

Central
1. Detroit Tigers
2. *Cleveland Indians
3. Minnesota Twins
4. Chicago White Sox
5. Kansas City Royals

West
1. Los Angeles Angels
2. Seattle Mariners
3. Oakland Athletics
4. Texas Rangers

National League

East
1. New York Mets
2. Atlanta Braves
3. Philadelphia Phillies
4. Washington Nationals
5. Florida Marlins

Central
1. Chicago Cubs
2. Houston Astros
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. Cincinnati Reds
5. Pittsburgh Pirates
6. St. Louis Cardinals

West
1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2. *-San Diego Padres
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. San Francisco Giants
5. Colorado Rockies

*= Wild Card teams

WILD CARD PLAYOFFS (best of five)

AL- Boston over Cleveland
AL- Detroit over Los Angeles
NL- Chicago over San Diego
NL- Los Angeles over New York

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES (best of seven)

AL- Boston over Detroit
NL- Chicago over Los Angeles

WORLD SERIES (best of seven)

Boston over Chicago

Since I was in college, the Chicago Cubs have consistently been one of my favorite National League teams. Lou Piniella is an outstanding manager who has won a World Series (1990 Cincinnati Reds) and the Cubs look to have a very good team this year. Plus, they are the sentimental favorites, since their last World Series championship was in 1908. Yes, 1908. 100 years ago. And you thought the pre 2004 Red Sox and pre 2005 White Sox were pathetic. C'mon admit it, you did. Yes. You. Did.

I may be a bit of a homer when it comes to predicting for or against my Red Sox, but the defending World Series Champions are essentially returning with the same team as the one they won with last year, which rarely happens in this day and age of professional sports, so how can I not pick them to repeat?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 01 April, 2008 08:20, Blogger DaBich said...

Lou Pinella is a great guy. I like Tony LaRussa and Joe Torre as well.

Sure wish the Pirates had some game to watch! :/

 
At 01 April, 2008 09:27, Blogger Tim said...

d: I have great respect for Joe Torre. He's not only a HOF caliber manager but a class person as well.

LaRussa is good but he comes off as arrogant to me. Much the same way Belichick seems to be most of the time with the Patriots. Still I respect anyone who can manage consistently for such a long time.

I despised and respected Tommy LaSorda when he managed the Dodgers because his temas were good more often than not.

 
At 01 April, 2008 10:03, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I've listened to Mikey drone on forever on Baseball strategy for the last few days. I think I've begun to block it out. But it seems there's a good few sports analysts who are putting a good few eggs in the Indian's basket. It's going to be a long long summer! Oh, and we are looking forward to getting out to the ballpark at least once.

 
At 01 April, 2008 10:58, Blogger Tim said...

The Indians also have a very good team and I wouldn't at all be surprised if they end up winning the AL Central. It should be a great division race all season.

Getting out to the ballpark once a year is always fun, though I haven't been to Fenway in a few years. My getting out to the ballpark has been for some Lowell Spinners (one of the Red Sox minor league teams) games.

 
At 02 April, 2008 08:26, Blogger DaBich said...

LaRussa is also an animal lover...
http://www.arf.net/about_arf/Events/Press/news_010503.html?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/01/05/CM47320.DTL

That gives him brownie points with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home