"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, April 28, 2008

the phone always rings....

Isn't it true that the phone always seems to ring when you're in the middle of eating dinner or when you're sitting on the hopper or at some other inopportune moment?

If you're one of the lucky suckers whom this doesn't happen to, then I congratulate you on being... weird.

So here I am in one of these inopportune moments (at 23:15 tonight, actually) when my cell phone rings. Of course my cell phone is in another room, well out of reach. I generally try not to let people who call me leave a message because, well, messages usually die in my voice mail box waiting for me to answer them.

Anywho, my phone rings, and I quickly stop what I'm doing and rush over to it to answer. What follows is the conversation that ensued:

CALLER: (weak grovelly voice) "Hello? Is Darlene there?"

ME: (serious, fatherly tone) "First of all, it's 11:15 at night and you shouldn't be calling so late. You might wake someone up. Second of all, no she's not. You have the wrong number."

CALLER: (indignant voice, demonstrating extreme intelligence) "F%$# You!" [CLICK]

ME: (laughing loudly) "!!!"

Now I may be crazy but how cool is that!!!!!!!

[I wasn't going to turn my computer back on to share this with y'all but I just had to. Too funny.]

In case you were wondering or even if you're not; my phone rings, quite loudly, to the opening theme from Star Wars and I love it!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 29 April, 2008 14:18, Blogger DaBich said...

LOL, that's definitely worth a good laugh.
I *HATE* people who call late at night.
I always suspect the worst and my heart starts to pound.
I've had my best friend call me three times when she took pills or something to harm herself, so it's not a good thing for me to hear the phone late.

 
At 29 April, 2008 22:07, Blogger Tim said...

d: unless I'm expecting a call that late, I know it's either a wrong number or something bad has happened.

Why? Becasue I haven't circulated my newer cell phone number to too many people.

 
At 30 April, 2008 17:16, Blogger scribe said...

When that happens to me, I say, "Oh! You haven't heard? Jeez. Wow. You might wanna...sit down or something...yeahhhhhh..." CLICK!

LMAO!!!

 
At 30 April, 2008 18:59, Blogger JLee said...

What a jerk! He should apologize. I am notorious for not answering my phone (cell or otherwise) when I'm in the middle of something. That's what voicemail is for!

 
At 01 May, 2008 01:48, Blogger American Guy said...

so ... doesn't your phone have an off switch? Mine does, and i find it highly useful for turning the phone off when i don't want to be disturbed.

Also, there are lots of people who legitimately make phone calls at that hour - shift workers, worried parents trying to reach their teenager out late...

And it seems just a bit high and mighty for you to be lecturing someone because they made an honest mistake. Not very, what's the word? oh yeah, christian, of you.

 
At 02 May, 2008 19:27, Blogger EstherNow said...

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Growing up, no one (including adults) was to call my family's house ANYTIME after 9 p.m., but that was in the 1970s and 80s so I didn't think that applied much anymore for reasons similar to what AG references and later hours by so many nowadays.

I do, however, think that the foul language was TOTALLY uncalled for by the mistaken caller.

Of course, I never think there is a good time to use that kind of language.

Just me, I guess, because I know there are many who just love to drop the "F-Bomb." :)

Ahem...Scribe.

(But you're still an incredible writer, and I bend the rule "a little" for your writing.)

 
At 04 May, 2008 00:49, Blogger Tim said...

AG: Honest mistake, sure.

It would have been unChristian-like to swear back at the guy or yell at him or even take Scribe's approach and make him think something bad happened.

Yes, there are people who make legitimate calls that late at night but this guy was none of those things.

He sounded like a kid who was either drunk or stoned looking for his girlfriend or maybe looking for a booty call. Hence I took the older, wiser, fatherly tone in playfully dealing with the kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home