"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, August 30, 2008

SNMR 5.12: "Fools Rush In"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Fools Rush In" (1997, PG-13, 109 minutes), starring Salma Hayek and Matthew Perry. The film was directed by Andy Tennant.

PLOT SUMMARY: New York architect Alex Whitman (Perry) travels to Las Vegas to oversee a major construction project for his company. When he meets Isabel Fuentes (Hayek) at a rest stop, romantic sparks fly for a night. Then life gets complicated for them both when, three months later, she finds him to inform him that she's carrying their baby...

MY OPINION: This is one of these DVD's that I kept on looking at in the store and at the library, wanting to see it but always losing out to something better or something I wanted to see more urgently. This is also a movie that I would have enjoyed better sometime in between when it came out and my recent "FRIENDS" kick earlier this year. For you see, it took me until about ¾ths of the way through this film to stop thinking of Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing and get with him as Alex Whitman, his character in this film. I must say that I can see some of scribe-o-rama-lama-ding-dong's attraction to Latina women through this film, as Salma Hayek is a knockout in the hotness department, despite this film being made 11 years ago. Did I mention that she's a pretty darn good actress, too...

Having said that, I did enjoy this movie for what it is, a simple romantic comedy that takes an interesting look at the possibilities and difficulties when cultures and nationalities clash when two people of very different backgrounds decide to get married. Not so much for the couple but for their families.

I've enjoyed other films that Andy Tennant has directed, so I didn't figure that I'd have any major issues with that aspect of the film. The script is decent, despite the worn to death plot of boy meets girl, instant one-night stand attraction and voila! The girl gets knocked up then months later comes looking for the guy who is responsible.

Ultimately I did end up purchasing the DVD for my collection when I found it in the bargain bin at my local 'evil empire' (aka Wal-Mart) location.

***¼ out of *****

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home