"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, September 11, 2008

my brush with literary fame

I don't remember if I've ever told this story on my blog before. This post started out as a comment on another blog. The following is a true story.


I'll admit it, I've never gotten into the writing of Stephen King and never even knew what he looked like.

I went to a Red Sox game once and the usher who helped me find my seat told me that "I was the lucky one."

I had no clue what he was talking about until I saw my seat, which was on the aisle on the first base side. Sitting in seat #2 was a thin, gaunt looking man with glasses who had a big hardback novel in his lap.

My initial impression was, "who in the %&*!^&*$*# brings a freaking novel to a baseball game! If you love to read your book so much, stay home and read it!! What a freaking moron!"

Then I heard the names, "King" and "Stephen" mentioned (apparently by his wife and son) but not in the same sentence, as I took in the sounds and conversation of the pre-game ballpark crowd. Then it dawned on me who I was sitting next to and why the usher called me lucky.

So I asked him for his autograph.

He politely refused, reasoning that if he signed something for me, then he'd have to sign stuff for everyone else and his enjoyment of the ball game would be ruined.

Having been, at one time, an autograph seeker groupie I respected and understood his reasoning for refusing my request, instead of being mad and considering him a freaking a$$hole.

Another fella recognized him and came up and asked him for his autograph, which he also politely refused.

As the course of the game went on, we started talking about baseball, the Red Sox and the game we were watching. We even high-fived on one occasion when the Red Sox were doing particularly well.

Late in the game King asked me if I thought the Sox would let the rookie (making his major league debut that night) bat in a tight, crucial situation. I told him that I did and my reasoning why. He seemed to find my explanation sound and appeared to agree with me.

If memory serves, I was rewarded when the rookie not only batted in said late game situation, but also got a hit which scored some runs for the Red Sox.

When the game ended (the Red Sox won) and we were about to leave, King reached over, grabbed my program and signed it, because I didn't hound him for an autograph and because for three hours that night, we became friends.

If you asked Stephen King about it today, I doubt that he would remember me. He might remember the game, being the renowned Red Sox fan that he is, but probably not me. But that's okay, it's certainly a night I'll never forget.

BTW, the year was 1992 and the rookie was John Valentin, who wore #13 and primarily played shortstop during his time with the Red Sox. I can't remember the score of the game, but I believe the Red Sox were playing the Texas Rangers that night.

Yes, I still have the autographed program somewhere and maybe the ticket stub from the game too.

And I've still never been able to get into the voluminous mass of Stephen King's published work.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At 11 September, 2008 22:59, Blogger JLee said...

That is so cool! I love Stephen King and think it would be fun to sort of "hang out" with him.

 
At 12 September, 2008 05:42, Blogger DaBich said...

You lucky devil you, Green! How cool is that? I've read several of his novels and enjoyed them immensely, wish I had time to read more.

 
At 13 September, 2008 12:48, Blogger c nadeau said...

cool...

 
At 13 September, 2008 13:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all that AND a bag o chips!!!

 
At 13 September, 2008 15:32, Blogger Tim said...

when I got home and relayed the story to my family, they couldn't believe it, intil I showed them the program from the game. My older sister C was especially jealous, since she and her ex were huge King fans. They had a collection of Stephen King hardcover first editions.

 
At 14 September, 2008 10:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would NOT have been able to keep my mouth shut, I would have driven him crazy with questions. First one would be asking him what the hell goes through that mind of his. Maybe he eats weird stuff before bed and dreams up some of his stories. After I read Pet Sematary, The Shining,Christine and The Dead Zone, I couldn't pick his books up for years. He freaks me out.

 
At 14 September, 2008 20:31, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

Great story Green and nicely written-im a huge King fan so of course I'm quite envious right now ;)

 
At 14 September, 2008 20:35, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

and...print word junkies always carry a book with them where ever they go-when there's a line or traffic-or the game gets boring-great time to read-ive gone to many a sporting event with a book ;)

 
At 14 September, 2008 22:27, Blogger Tim said...

pris:

King goes to many Red Sox games every year, so when you become that ultra rich lawyer you ought to come to Boston, go to Fenway and look for him.

The funny (ironic) thing is that I've become a print-word junkie over the years since then, as I generally bring a few books with me wherever I go.

But back then I thought that seeing King with the hardcover book was the stupidest thing ever.

 
At 15 September, 2008 17:23, Blogger c nadeau said...

I am constantly criticized for taking a book with me most places I go, so I ahve started bringing drafts of my own books with me to shut people the hell up.

 
At 15 September, 2008 22:16, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

Green-I'm glad you have joined the ranks, and judging by your glasses you have paid the price-you can tell a junky by several things-glasses, gaunt, book in lap at ridiculous places, good looking.

Okay I just threw that last one in there for fun :)

CA-you should get a glossy book cover with your glamour shot on the back looking serious and intelletual. Damn, that would be cool. Even though I haven't written a book yet, I'm going to do that...and put it around the current book I'm reading and pretend like it's mine, lmao.

 
At 15 September, 2008 22:30, Blogger Tim said...

pris:

yes, us print word junkies can be good looking... thanks for noticing. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home