"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII - 2008 NFL Playoffs



#2 Pittsburgh Steelers (-7; 46½ OU) v. #4 Arizona Cardinals: Believe it or not, this is a very intriguing match up for several reasons. This is the first Super Bowl trip for either head coach, but Cardinals head man Ken Whisenhunt and Assistant Russ Grimm used coach for the Steelers and were passed up when Mike Tomlin was hired to replace Bill 'The Chin' Cowher a few years ago. Both QB's, Kurt Warner for the Cardinals and Ben Roethlisberger for the Steelers have won a Super Bowl in their career and this would be #2 for each. It would seem to be a match up of Arizona's resurgent offense vs. the Steelers' superb defense.

I'll guarantee you this: No one thought that we'd have this match-up for this game. The Steelers are one of the AFC's best teams and hardly anyone should be surprised that they are representing the AFC. Even long suffering, die-hard Cardinals fans would not have predicted that their team would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this year. I definitely didn't see it coming.

I never thought that the Cardinals would beat Atlanta at home, let alone a road game at Carolina and another home game vs. Philadelphia to get here. I would absolutely love to see the Cardinals win this game. Absolutely love it. But I really don't see it happening, because I believe the Steelers are that good. Will it be a close game? Probably, since Warner is a former Super Bowl MVP, and Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald can dominate a game all by himself and is playing his butt off during the playoffs, so far.

However, the one thing that bothers me about the Cardinals, is this. The Boston Globe's superb sports columnist Bob Ryan even wrote a great piece about it a few weeks ago, is that this Cardinals team, once they won their division, tanked a few games at the end of their schedule. For proof, look no further than that 47-7 December drubbing at the hands of the far-superior New England Patriots. As Ryan said in his column, the Cardinals didn't even bother to show up for that game in the snow.

Anyway, knowing my luck and my horrible predictions so far in this year's playoffs, if I pick Pittsburgh, that's gotta give the Cardinals a legitimate shot to win. So I'll go with Pittsburgh winning, in hopes that I'll be wrong again.Prediction: Pittsburgh 28, Arizona 20 Actual result: Pittsburgh 27, Arizona 23 Wow, what a game! I didn't watch all of it. I had to listen to the first half on the radio and turned it off when it looked like Pittsburgh was set to go up 24-7 in the 3rd Quarter. Then when I turned back to it, Arizona had taken the lead with under 3 minutes to go, 23-20. I then watched Pittsburgh's come from behind win. Two plays were the difference. At the end of the first half, Arizona was on the verge of scoring the go ahead touchdown, which would have given them a 14-10 lead at halftime. Instead a bizarro interception and 100 yard return for a Pittsburgh TD gave the Steelers the 17-7 edge after two quarters. Then that final drive and Pittsburgh WR (and game MVP) Santonio Holmes incredible game winning touchdown catch sealing the deal for the Steelers. I said to my nephew J that if the Steelers won on that phenomenal catch then they deserved to win. He agreed with me. Even though Arizona lost, I'm happy they made it a competitive game, where for a while it looked like the Cardinals were going to get blown out.

So I picked correctly the straight up winner but lost vs. the point spread. A truly inglorious end to my miserable playoff game picking. Eegads.


Super Bowl XLIV will be played in Miami on February 7, 2010.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 02 February, 2009 16:55, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

It was a phenomenal game!! Santonio Holmes played for the Buckeyes :) First Buckeye to win a super bowl MVP;)

 
At 02 February, 2009 21:32, Blogger Tim said...

Pris: And Holmes deserved the MVP award for his performance on the final drive alone. If it weren't for him Arizona would have scored the upset.

 
At 04 February, 2009 20:42, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

i know he was awesome, i was kinda rooting for AZ-they were the underdogs and also because the QB is sexy big time, AND because I'm going to move to AZ one day soon :)

But...you can't deny a Buckeye his football glory, remember that for next season Green :)

 
At 08 February, 2009 20:35, Blogger Rusty Nail said...

As i can hear my cousins watching something that includes chipmunks singing Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer, I agree that it was a phenomenal game, that AZ would have pulled off if not for that amazing catch in trippple coverage. Santonio can take that MVP award. No complaints there.

 
At 09 February, 2009 05:15, Blogger DaBich said...

What, no love for Harrison? I can't believe he made it all the way, then to run out of gas and collapse! What a guy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home