"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Loan, anyone?



Does anyone want to lend me $400?

I got this advertisement in the mail yesterday for a self study course that I want to take but don't have the up front cash needed to pay for it. What makes this worthwhile for me is there is there is very good potential for additional income after I'm done (read: a part time job that could become full time very easily). Plus, I'm good for it. Just ask everyone else I owe money to (except the credit card companies - they don't like me right now.) Just figured I'd ask, y'know.

Do you remember the charachter Wimpy from the Popeye cartoons? His line was: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." That's what I'm thinking as I type this blog.

All the while being distracted by my (2004 World Champion) Boston Red Sox rallying for a couple of runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to tie the ballgame at 6. (Sox won 7-6)

Forgot to mention this: On the road leading to my work this morning, there were six or seven chickens in the road. Add them to the other animal life I have seen here in the last year (deer, turkeys & pheasants). We're getting quite a collection of wildlife.

7 Comments:

At 31 August, 2005 16:16, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Gas has now reached 3 bucks here.

 
At 31 August, 2005 21:02, Blogger American Guy said...

"On the road leading to my work this morning, there were six or seven chickens in the road."

But why were they crossing it?

Oh coome on, someone had to say it...

 
At 31 August, 2005 21:27, Blogger Tim said...

3 bucks for gas? Wow! I thought it was bad enough at $2.57 9/10...

Fortunately for me I live 3.2 miles from work, so I save gas there - it's the ride to and from the x's house and to the x's parents house that kill me.

Yes, someone had to say it (I suppose) but it sure wasn't going to be me...

Didn't Wimpy wear a black suit jacket with a red necktie and derby style top hat? I know he had a moustache...

 
At 01 September, 2005 09:10, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Funny you should mention that. I have 2 jobs. The one I'm working right now is only a block from my house. Lucky moi!!! But my afternoon job is 19 miles away!!!

 
At 01 September, 2005 10:45, Blogger American Guy said...

I used to live in southern Africa back in the early 90s. There was a hamburger chain named Wimpy's (though they never let you pay on Tuesday...).

There's a simple solution to expensive gas prices that no one (at least in the US seems to take seriously): Don't drive. Lots of places in the world have this amazing concept called public transport. Carpool. Or ride your bike to work like I do. Especially you Green - you get in a car for 3 lousy miles? Heck you could walk it in mid summer without braking a sweat. Granted when the snow comes I'd probably forgive you for cranking up the old infernal combustion engine.

And really, I think Americans have had it far too easy for too long. Get this: $3 a gallon is NOT expensive. Here in Oz, we've been paying closer to US$4 per gallon (even with the exchange rate - which actually understates how expensive fuel is) for a while now. It hasn't cost less then $3 for a couple of years now. And you don't even want to think about what they pay in Europe. Of course, this may have something to do with the rest of the world not being so pig headed to think that they have a 'right' to cheap fuel that just exacerbates environmental degredation.

I say raise the cost to $10 a gallon. We'd all think about whther we really want those big SUVs and maybe, just maybe, start acting a little more responsibly.

While I'm at it, I think we should all pay MORE taxes.

But why am I ranting here? I should put this on my own blog.

 
At 02 September, 2005 17:29, Blogger Tim said...

I need to drive. I'm not awake enough in the morning as it is. After work I frequently do errands which are a bit farther out than 3 miles from home. Plus, after a long day's work, am I really going to feel like walking? (Not.) 3.2 miles is measured by the highway, not as the crow flies. In order to walk, or even to ride a bike would require a longer trip. I'll drive the route on Tuesday evening that I would have to use and report back on the mileage, since I've never bothered to figure it out. Since you can't walk or ride a bike on the highway, driving is the most convenient. (Well you can walk or bike on the highway- it is physically possible but it's illegal and highly unsafe).

What is cheap gas? Eight months ago gas prices were about $1.60 per gallon high end, +/- a few cents, if memory serves. Now the price has doubled in 2/3 of a year and you say gas should be priced higher? No way. Now if my salary increased to cover the higher prices, well then maybe I'd go for it, but not likely.
Plus, you live in a city where you have public transport, I don't. I'm all for pt if it's available. Who wouldn't want to save a few bucks? Sure Nashua has city buses but none go to where I need to be for work.

This does sound like a good rant for your own space, maybe you could expound on just how many more taxes we should pay?

Which makes me wonder how are the taxes in Oz in comparison to US and Massachusetts in particular? Cheap, reasonable, or expensive? How does that compare to the cost of living expenses? What kind of disposable income is normal for your area? Inquiring minds want to know...;>)

 
At 03 September, 2005 10:26, Blogger Tim said...

Tink=

I was just stretching out the memory a bit asking what Wimpy wore in the cartoon. Good to know my memory is good for some things ;>)

Your pretty talented, working 25 miles away from work... not many people I know can do that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home