"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, April 29, 2006

SNMR 1.7: "The Skeleton Key"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Skeleton Key" (2005, PG-13, 104 minutes) starring Kate Hudson, Gena Rowlands, Peter Sarsgaard, Joy Bryant and John Hurt. The film was directed by Iain Softley.

This is another in a long line of DVD's that I bought when it came out several months ago and hadn't gotten around to watching it at all until tonight. I bought it primarily because the box looked interesting and partly because I've enjoyed other movies Kate Hudson has been in.

From the DVD's dust jacket:

"Kate Hudson stars in The Skeleton Key - a supernatural thriller that weaves a tale of terror and suspense! When Caroline Ellis (Hudson) takes a job in Louisiana's bayous, she unlocks a deadly secret involving magic, conjure, and sacrifice that pulls her into a terrifying world of strange, frightening and unexplained incidents. The key to escaping may lie in a decrepit attic, but if she dares to believe in what she discovers, everything she fears will become real! Filled with endless suspense and bone-chilling scares, hold on for this terrific ride with 'one of the best twists since The Sixth Sense' (Melanie Moon, WB-TV)!


Here we have a delightful little spook movie that is good enough to keep you on the edge of your seat. The film runs along at a good pace and doesn't drag in many areas. The writing is decent but no real memorable quotes stick out. Kate Hudson is good in the lead role and the supporting cast is believeable. I didn't think the twist ending was as shocking as in The Sixth Sense, but it worked for me because it's not an ending that I was expecting. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this genre of film (I don't scare easily) but I did enjoy this one. Because no horror/suspense movie is perfect, I'll give this film 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

2 Comments:

At 30 April, 2006 01:15, Blogger starbender said...

I liked this movie too! It seemed to flow from start to finish! She seemed a bit bold going thru locked doors though!
:)

 
At 01 May, 2006 05:31, Blogger DaBich said...

I'm with you on this one. It kept my attention start to finish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home