"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, May 06, 2006

SNMR 1.8: "The Game"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Game" (1997, R, 128 minutes) starring Michael Douglas, Sean Penn, Deborah Kara Unger, James Rebhorn, Peter Donat, Carroll Baker and Armin Mueller-Stahl. This film was directed by David Fincher.

I remember first renting this movie and watching it in 1998. Since then I've watched it many times. I've always been a fan of Michael Douglas' films. He is a very versatile actor and one of my all time favorites.

From the DVD's dust jacket:

"There are no rules in 'The Game.' And that will make life very difficult for Nicholas Van Orton, a successful businessman who is always in control. Van Orton lives a well-ordered life - until an unexpected birthday gift from his brother destroys it all. Like it or not, Nicholas has been enrolled in a game - 'a profound life experience' that begins quietly but soon erupts in a rush of devastating events. Van Orton has to win this deadly game or lose control of everything in his life."

From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2006, p. 428:

"Corporate Executive Nicholas Van Orton (Michael Douglas) has lost focus, he's successful, but just going through the motions - both at home and at work. Then brother Conrad (Sean Penn) comes up with a surprise birthday present that sends Nicholas straight to his own personal hell. This clever, thought-provoking film packs the kind of punch evidenced by so few of its brethren and invites second and third viewings. The cast is marvelous, and the "game" unforgettable.
This is one of my all-time favorite movies. The writing is excellent and the pace is quick. This is a movie filled with suspense. You'll be on the edge of your seat wondering what madness will come next. When I first watched this film, my initial reaction was simply, WOW!!! Michael Douglas once again is excellent in the lead role and the supporting cast is wonderful. If you haven't already, go rent this movie! I'll give this film five out of five stars.

9 Comments:

At 07 May, 2006 10:06, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

WOW! I have never heard of this movie. If you like it that much, I'll have to check it out! Time to go to Blockbuster, anyway!

 
At 07 May, 2006 10:21, Blogger Tim said...

That's how I found out about this movie originally. Went to Blockbuster, saw it on the shelf and it looked interesting, so I rented it.

 
At 07 May, 2006 16:41, Blogger Kayla said...

Very suspensful movie.
I had to watch it twice to soak it all in :)

 
At 07 May, 2006 17:19, Blogger starbender said...

I've never seen this, I'll have 2 check it out.
Thanx!
:)

 
At 07 May, 2006 17:44, Blogger Ruth said...

Liked the movie too. Just not my favorite genre. I get too involved and my heart starts racing a little too much. :o)

 
At 07 May, 2006 20:48, Blogger American Guy said...

Though i run hot and cold on Michael Douglas, this was indeed a great flick.

I was involved with a secret organisation for a while and it paralleled some of the ideas in the Game (though on a much smaller scale) - if you think it was interesting watching somethig like this, it was also pretty fun being a part of it.

One of my favourite parts in the movie: when Daniel Shorr starts talking to hiim from the TV. Daniel Shorr is way cool in my book.

 
At 08 May, 2006 17:44, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Best.
Thriller.
Ever.

Saw it in theaters when it was released? Nobody got it.

 
At 08 May, 2006 20:18, Blogger Tim said...

scribe: took me awhile after it ended to comprehend the madeness. If there is a better thriller out there, I dunno what it is...

AG: "Do you know how dangerous that is?" - Daniel Schorr talking to Van Orton while playing with his tv using a screwdriver.

That's a really cool scene. Sort of reminds me of the short lived series Max Headroom...

 
At 09 May, 2006 18:43, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

AH!!! Long live Max Headroom!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home