"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, October 18, 2008

SNMR 5.18: "Amazing Grace"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Amazing Grace" (2007, PG, 118 minutes) starring Ioan Gruffudd, Romola Garai, Ciaran Hinds, Rufus Sewell, Youssou N'Dour, Michael Gambon and Albert Finney. The film was directed by Michael Apted.

PLOT SUMMARY: Historical biopic based on the life of William Wilberforce and his quest to end the British slave trade.

MY OPINION: I only learned briefly about William Wilberforce within the last couple of years. When I saw this DVD in the store and at the library, I was tempted to buy it, but I didn't because the price was too high or there was always something I wanted to buy or see more. You also have to be in the mood to watch this kind of movie. Sometimes I was and sometimes I wasn't.

Finally I decided to give it a go and am glad I did. This is a film that is filled with fine acting performances, from Wilbur (Gruffudd) all the way down to John Newton (Finney). The story is well written and Michael Apted does a great job keeping the action flowing and the audience involved because he gives us a reason to be invested in these characters lives. It's a moving story with a satisfying ending, a film that I'd watch again and might consider buying for the right price.

Who knows, you might end up learning something too. Imagine that. Definitely a worthwhile rental for two hours of your life.

**** out of *****

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home