"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Amazing Grace



I almost used laziness as an excuse for staying home from church today, but I am glad I did not.

One of the songs we sung today was called "Amazing Grace" written by John Newton in 1779. This is probably one of the most well known hymns ever written. It is a very moving hymn, especially when over 300 (not an exact count) people are singing it together. Please take the time to listen to it by clicking here.

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
Shall be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

My pastor today spoke on Acts 12:3-19, where Peter is miraculously freed from jail and a certain death by beheading, similar to what Herod did to James in verse 2, which I mentioned in the post from Sunday last..

It is interesting to note that there were sixteen guards watching Peter, rotating every three hours in four groups of four. Two would guard the door while the other two were shackled on either side of the prisoner. In the morning, when Peter was nowhere to be found, Herod ordered the guards put to death in the prisoners' place. Which is to say that these men were beheaded for letting their prisoner escape.

6 Comments:

At 17 October, 2005 01:10, Blogger American Guy said...

Even as as atheist, I've always apreciated the beauty in that song. Plus it sounds great on the bagpipes!

Who could forget Scotty playing it at Spock's funeral.

 
At 17 October, 2005 07:29, Blogger Tim said...

Due to the serious tone of the post I wasn't going to mention that hymn being played at the end of Star Trek II, but I had a feeling someone would.

 
At 17 October, 2005 19:33, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Why wouldn't you mention that? Brings me to tears every time.

 
At 17 October, 2005 19:42, Blogger Tim said...

What the hymn being played on the 'pipes, or Spock's funeral...

 
At 17 October, 2005 22:21, Blogger American Guy said...

I must find somewhere to take bagpipe lessons - but even most music schools that offer the 'we can teach any instrument' approach, kind of look at you funny when you suggest it.

 
At 17 October, 2005 22:27, Blogger Tim said...

American Guy:

Sounds like a move to Scotland is what you need to learn the 'pipes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home