"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Romancing the Stone



Let me tell you about my interesting early morning activities.

As I wrote in the last entry, yesterday I was feeling pain in my left lower abdomen. I thought it was gas so I forced myself out to buy some gas relief medicine. After taking it and some aleve I felt a little better, but I still went to bed early (for me) at 10 PM. No problem. I fell asleep quickly.

At 1:30 AM I got up to pee and when I went to lay down again - WHOOO HA - major pain in the same area. So as I lie there wondering what the &^*(&^*(## was going on, trying to decide if I should ignore the pain and go back to sleep or get dressed and drive myself to the ER.

I dislike hospitals as a general rule but since this was not the first time I felt this way I decided to go to the hospital. This at 2 AM this morning.

So I sat down with the triage nurse and told her what the problem was. She dutifully took my information and told me they'd call when there was a room available in the ER.

Ten minutes later I'm sitting on a stretcher in a curtained off section of the ER in one of those air contitioned hospital jonnies.

After giving four vials of blood and a half pint of urine, a nurse or aide took me down a long corridor to the x-ray room where two pictures were taken.

Once back in my "room" in the ER, it was not long afterwards that the doc came in and told me what I and the triage nurse had suspected. I am the (not so proud) owner of a kidney stone, urine cups, filters and three perscriptions for pain medication. YEEE HAAAAAW

If I can't pass it through my system in the next few days, I'll be looking forward to my first surgery in 36 years to have the stone removed.

So a total of three hours later I get back to my apartment, wide awake. I emailed my boss at work to give him the reason why I won't be at work today or tomorrow. Though I'll know better once I see my regular doc and a Urologist tomorrow what the best course of action will be.

If this weren't bad enough, I got up this morning to get my prescriptions filled and my car wouldn't start. AAA came and tried to jump it but the problem he said was the fuel pump. So now I'm having it towed to the place I got the same problem fixed just about six months ago, because it's covered under warranty- 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Fortunately, my parents live close by and have another car that I can borrow, so I can get my medicine and get to my appointments tomorrow.

My Mom left work early this afternoon so she could take me to get my drugs. After we got back to the apartment we were talking and decided that she would take me to my appointments tomorrow. I'm taking percocet among other things and probably won't be in the best shape for driving, anyway.

Thanks, Mom

17 Comments:

At 19 October, 2005 15:32, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks, Tink.

I really sppreciate that. :)

Actually the pain isn't to bad most of the time but when that sucker moves around is when it really hurts.

 
At 19 October, 2005 15:34, Blogger Tim said...

I can't type..... bbbbbb

 
At 19 October, 2005 17:30, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Walk it off, dude!!! as my friend Ed would say.

 
At 19 October, 2005 17:35, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks constant.

scribe - you and Ed are loco. Believe you me if I could walk it off I would.


I'll keep y'all updated.

 
At 19 October, 2005 17:47, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I drink tons of water daily in fear of the kidney stone affliction.

 
At 19 October, 2005 17:56, Blogger Tim said...

Trust me, so far it's no fun - unless you count being able to take the drugs for the pain as being fun....

 
At 19 October, 2005 18:47, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I'm with constant-it's a lovely break in one's day.

 
At 19 October, 2005 18:50, Blogger Tim said...

yes, but is it fun?

 
At 19 October, 2005 19:51, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Try this:

Pop the dope and then place your head between your knees for two minutes. Then sit up really really quickly and jump to your feet. Run around the room 3 times in a circle, then go to the door and throw it open. At that point you will be prepped for the fun part...lemme know when you've done all that.

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:17, Blogger Tim said...

Just reading it makes me dizzy. I think I'll pass.

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:30, Blogger lccb81 said...

feel better...

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:31, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Oh come on I have plans within plans...

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:37, Blogger Tim said...

Tell ya what... I'll still pass.
Curses.....foiled again!

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:54, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

damn! I never even got to mention the part about the massage oil and ball of twine!

 
At 19 October, 2005 20:57, Blogger Tim said...

you just did. Plus I haven't anyone to rub the massage oil on me. My cats won't do it. ;>)

 
At 19 October, 2005 23:35, Blogger American Guy said...

ouch.

But on the plus side, that is about the FASTEST emergency room visit I've ever heard of! At least for someone without a gunshot wound.

 
At 20 October, 2005 09:20, Blogger Tim said...

It's true. The ER was much quieter than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised. When I got there there was only one other guy in the ER waiting/reception area.

So it didn't take long for me to see whomever I needed to see. But I brought a book with me to read while waiting, expecting it to take longer than it did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home