"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

too close for comfort

I despise car repairs. Especially with older vehicles where I'm not the original owner and have no clue what was done repair-wise and what was not.

Every time I need my car fixed, I feel like I'm getting raped. See, I have no clue about the inner workings of a car's engine and other systems. About all I can do on my own is check the various fluid levels and add more when needed. So when I take the car into the shop, they could tell me just about anything is wrong with it and I'd probably believe them.

At this time and in this place, I drive a crappy green 2000 Chevy Lumina that had just over 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. I've owned this beast since December 2007 and for the most part have had no problems with it. Until about a month or so ago when my brakes started squeaking. I also started to hear a horrible sound coming from the engine area. Since my engine seemed to be loud, I thought I might have a hole in the exhaust system somewhere.

Last Friday, on my way to pick up V and M after work, I had some time before I was scheduled to meet them, so I pulled in to a local repair chain at which I've had work done before on other vehicles I've owned. I've felt in the past that they've treated me fairly and haven't gouged me too badly.

I knew I had multiple things wrong with the new beast and went in telling them what I suspected was wrong. They told me they could do a full check of the car and tell me everything that they found that needed attention, eventually, listing the most critical things first.

I told the guy behind the counter that I'd have to tackle the repairs in chunks for budgetary reasons and I asked him what the most critical repair was and how much it would cost. Turns out the price he quoted me was exactly 77 cents more than what I had in my checking account.

Good thing this Friday is payday.

----

I've started watching season one of two old television shows that I bought on DVD recently. One show I watched sporadically when it first aired and the other show I never watched at all but always wanted to see what the hype was about. The first show made its debut in 1982 and the second show made it's debut in 1992. What were the names of these shows? For now, I'll keep that to myself. Don't worry, I'll tell you what they are one of these days. In fact I think I'll watch a few episodes of one of these shows before I go to sleep for the night.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 29 October, 2008 13:54, Blogger scribe said...

Nothing upsets me more than the prices charged for car repairs. i don't know if it's the same there but in Michigan the prices are regulated so basically everybody charges you the same thing unless you know a guy...which I do.

 
At 29 October, 2008 16:48, Blogger American Guy said...

it's not the price of services so much, as them playing on the fact that if they through enough tech talk at you you'll just assume they know what they're talking about and pony up for all the services that they say you need.

 
At 29 October, 2008 16:48, Blogger American Guy said...

In other news: no one reads my blog any more. Whine, whine, whine. Complain, complain. Shameless plea, shameless plea.

 
At 29 October, 2008 17:56, Blogger JLee said...

I know what you mean about car repairs and I think one of the shows you watched is "Sex and the City" ;)

 
At 29 October, 2008 18:45, Blogger Tim said...

scribe: no, automobile repair costs are not regulated here. It's not so much the cost of theparts that kill you but the outrageous labor charges...

ag: and that would have run me about $6k, which obviously I do not want to spend on a car that's barely worth the $3K i paid for it.

ps, I check your blog every day and am one of your regular commentors... commenters? Yeah, one of those.

jlee: car repairs are no fun. One of the shows was not Sex and the City since the shows I'm referring to made their debuts in 1982 and 1992 respectively. Nice try though.

 
At 02 November, 2008 20:16, Blogger DaBich said...

Car repairs suck. Thankfully, hubby can do a LOT with cars, as long as it doesn't involve the electronic stuff. He can replace brakes and rotors. Change oil, mess with a lot of stuff under the hood.
I knew I married him for something!

 
At 10 November, 2008 17:18, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

I'm going to guess the cosby show and seinfeld-in honor of our new president and his newly appointed chief of staff ;)

 
At 10 November, 2008 17:24, Blogger Tim said...

pris: good guesses, but no and no.

 
At 10 November, 2008 22:08, Blogger American Guy said...

hang on. Wasn't there an old show called ... "too close for comfort"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home